Injunctions are legally binding Court Orders, issued by one of the divisions of the court in the UK, including the family law court. There are, in fact, many different types of injunction, but those that are most commonly associated with family law cases are those relating to the individual and the family, property injunctions that may be required or issued following a divorce or separation, and housing injunctions. Failing to meet the terms of an injunction can lead to considerable penalties, including even a custodial sentence.

Personal And Family Injunctions

Some of the most common injunctions are those that are designed to help victims of domestic violence or abuse. A non-molestation order prohibits the abuse of a person by another person, and these are often applied for by abused partners in order to help ensure that the are protected. If a non-molestation order is in place, and the victim contacts the police because the order has been broken, it means that the police can remove the offender from the scene straight away.

Property Injunctions

A property injunction is most often used when couples separate or divorce. During the division of wealth and assets, the courts may decide that a property needs to be signed over to one of the separating parties. A property injunction can demand that a sale be made, that a specific person be allowed to live in that property, or that the deeds to the property be signed over to one of the separating parties.

Housing Injunctions

A number of housing injunctions do exist, and while some aim to protect the rights of the landlord, there are injunctions that protect the rights of the tenant too. Local authorities may also apply for a housing injunction against tenants that have proven to be nuisance neighbours or problem tenants.

Other Injunctions

This is just a small selection of the types of injunction that can be issued by UK courts. Whether you are looking to apply for a non-molestation order, want the court to rule and issue a property injunction, or you are contesting an application for a housing injunction, you should ensure that you have suitable legal representation from a legal firm with experience in dealing with family law and injunction related matters.